Our Ottawa based, award winning, client is looking to hire a Vice President, Finance
What they will offer you?
- A challenging environment where people matter!
- An opportunity to work with a highly-motivated, committed team!
- A positive and productive environment!
- Career advancement potential as the organization grows!
What is needed to succeed?
- Direct and coordinate the company’s financial reporting. Participate in management meetings to review results and identify barriers or potential barriers to meeting goals. Develop strategies to overcome obstacles.
- Interact with US based parent company
- Work with the management team on budget and resource allocations to ensure that they support and facilitate the company’s goals and objectives and the related timelines.
- Establish and implement all processes required to meet parent company reporting needs on a monthly, quarterly and year end basis. Prepare responses to variances and any forward looking adjustments.
- Work with the parent company to ensure that the appropriate financial resources, such as working capital, are allocated to meet goals and objectives and timelines.
- Ensure compliance with government reporting and remittance requirements.
- Direct financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements
- Set clear fiscal priorities and adhere to the decisions made on these priorities
- Provide guidance and energy to the company’s evolution and development; be an ambassador both internally and externally for the company; provide direct support to the President and act on his behalf when called upon; instill and foster pride, confidence and teamwork among the departments.
- Act as second in command to ensure that action is taken when faced with the requirement for quick reaction and turnaround on issues.
- Provide teaching and coaching to other senior management staff on financial matters relating to their operational responsibilities.
- Develop functional plans and establish and measure key short term and long term business drivers and performance measures. Ensure clear timelines, targets and deliverables are established and communicated for the company as a whole and for each of the individual departments.
- Initiate new, and strengthen existing, partnerships and alliances. Manage these relationships to ensure that the company leverages these key relationships.
- Participate and support management with product pricing initiatives including evaluation of market competitiveness and profitability of all products and business lines.
- Proactively mitigate any potential company related liabilities and ensure that the management team is kept abreast of any risk.
- Prime ensuring that the company is covered in both the areas of insurance and legal administration and ensure that risk is minimized when dealing with contractual agreements, privacy legislation, intellectual property, employee related issues, etc.
- Manage the implementation and maintenance of the accounting systems to ensure that reporting provides the accurate and timely information required for formal financial reporting.
- Lease negotiations; contract reviews; liaison with legal counsel.
- Manage physical assets in conjunction with IT.
What functional knowledge will allow you great success?
- CA, CGA, CMA or CPA Designation.
- Solid proven communication skills.
- Manage the struggle in developing meaningful analysis, without unnecessary detail.
- Optimize team efforts to yield best-in-class business support and decision making.
- Exceptional planning and execution skills.
- Natural leadership characteristics, presence and credibility.
- Results oriented.
- Analytical decision making and real-time execution.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience in senior financial management roles including managing financial reporting, audit, and SRED submissions.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Be in-tune with all departments with the goal of facilitating a service mindset within the company to evolve quality and service levels.
- Ability to assume command and mitigate ripple effect of any crisis situation.
- Proven experience in negotiations to facilitate contract development and analysis.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Experience with a multi-currency environment.
- Dealings with US and other international companies and contracts.
- Knowledge of US GAAP.
- Operational experience in a high technology environment.
- Prior experience working within a public company or working in a subsidiary of a public company.
- Prior experience or exposure with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.